Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Kevin's Birth Story

Because of my Factor V Leiden, I knew from the start of the pregnancy that I would have to be induced early (I needed to be off anticoagulants 12 hours prior to have the option to get an epidural). Well, that day was finally here -- September 13, 2011. My sister Elizabeth was excited that the 13th would be Kevin's birthday because my nephew's birthday was also on the 13th (of January). Jeff and I checked into the hospital at 6:30am after a somewhat sleepless night because of the excitement of getting to meet our little boy. After all my information was taken and I was changed into a gown, I had to give blood for some tests and my IV got started with Pitocin.

That morning was pretty calm. Jeff and I talked and watched TV to pass the time. My mom came in a little later and worked on Kevin's baby blanket. The contractions at this point were barely noticeable at - I had to look at the monitor to see if I was having one. After a while a nurse came in to change my position. They wanted me to be off my back and lay on my left side. However, after a few minutes she came back in to turn me on my right side. Kevin's heartbeat had dropped substantially when I was on my left -- which is very unusual. In most pregnancies, the advice is to lay on your left side to sleep, but Kevin liked the right side instead apparently.

When my doctor came in to check how dilated I was around 2:00pm (2cm, -1), she decided to help move the labor along by breaking my water. This definitely made the contractions start to get stronger and later that afternoon, I asked for an epidural. This helped alleviate the pain very quickly and soon after I was back to watching the monitor to see if I was having a contraction. They were coming every 2-3 minutes just like they should have been.

The doctor came in later that evening to check me again and I was at 6cm, -1. Moving along just like she had hoped. Soon after she left though, I started to feel the contractions again. This was ok for the time being, they weren't hurting me quite yet. However, I noticed that after each one, the pain was increasing. I called in a nurse to see if I could get a boost of pain medication which they gave me right away. This still didn't change the pain though - it just kept getting worse and worse. After giving me a boost every 20 minutes for about 5 times, the pain was unbearable! I felt like I was squeezing Jeff's hand till it turned blue during each contraction.

I got checked right away and found out I was at 9cm! But there was a problem: my cervix was swollen. When I was told that, I was also told not to push. Are you kidding me?? I didn't have an option anymore -- the urge to push was so intense it took every fiber of my being not to do it. They needed me to relax so my cervix would go back, but that wasn't happening without pain medication. The anesthesiologist came back in and it was all I could do to remain still, laying on my side to get the boost I needed. It worked almost immediately. So after a few contractions, my cervix relaxed a bit and my doctor thought I could now try to push. There were 2 problems at this point: 1) the pain medication made the feeling of how to push go away and 2) laying on my back to do this made Kevin's heart rate drop just like at the beginning of labor. However, I soldiered through and attempted to push during the next 3 contractions. Nothing. Not only was he not coming, his heart rate was just too scary for my doctor to watch for too much longer.

The decision was made at 11:45pm to have a c-section. So much for the 13th being his birthday! I was wheeled into surgery and soon after that Jeff joined me in his blue paper suit. I was very emotional at this point and seeing him helped give me a laugh. After a few moments of pressure, Kevin was here! Jeff popped up immediately to see him and follow him to get cleaned, weighed, etc. It seemed like an eternity till I saw Jeff again. He leaned over with watery eyes and told me how proud he was of me and that Kevin was perfect. If I wasn't already crying, that definitely pushed me over the edge.

Now -- where was he!! I want to see him!! The nurse finally brought him over all wrapped up and I got to touch him and get a quick picture with him before he was taken to the nursery. Jeff went with him and my mom got to peak in through the window to see him. After I was all stitched up, I went into a recovery room where I had to stay for about an hour until I got the feeling in my legs back. I was shaking so bad at this point -- from what I don't know -- but it made the time pass as I tried to calm myself down and got a little nap. I was exhausted. Jeff came in the room a little later to show me all the pictures he had taken and to tell me all about our new son.

I waited up with my mom until around 5am when the brought Kevin to us - Jeff passed out in his chair until got there. All I wanted to do was see him and hold him. I couldn't sleep until I had. After that, all was well with my world and I wanted to sleep. Kevin went back to the nursery and my mom went back to our house. What a whirlwind of a day! I wouldn't have changed anything.

Kevin Donald Burch - September 14th, 2011 12:24am, 6lbs 9oz, 19 3/4 inches

No comments: