Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's official - I'm training for a 1/2 marathon!

I have fallen in love with running - can you believe it? I know I can't! I'm not a natural runner and I'm not fast, but I get a lot of satisfaction from running. It's such a mental challenge for me because anyone can run - your body is built to. When I started running last year around this same time, I could barely run a 1/2 mile before I wanted to quit. If you've never ran much in your life, it's such a mental burden that you have to overcome. Your body can do it, even if you aren't in the best of shape - but knowing you can do it and pushing yourself is half (or even more) of the battle! Last year I challenged myself to run a 5k. This year I challenged myself to run a 10k and now that I've done that it seems only natural to double the distance again. The next challenge this year is a 1/2 marathon in June. I still plan on running a few more 5ks and 10ks around the area when I can find them. I am so lucky to have a friend in Lemoore to join me in my challenge too! After our 10k, Leslie has agreed to do a 1/2 with me and Amy is going to train for it too while she is in Redding. So it's official, 1/2 marathon training starts today!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Amazing! I am so proud of you! I am trying to get into running myself. At this point I'm like you 1/2 a mile to a mile feels like a lot! With everyone out here running marathons I feel like a 5k is a good starting point. The hardest thing for me is falling off the wagon when we have guests. You are inspiring me though! ;)