When I was looking up a 10k to run in January, I had to find one that was some time in March and was on a weekend that Jen and Kaylee could fly down from WA. Well I found one that was on my birthday weekend in San Fran which was just about perfect! Jen could spend my birthday with me and run in our first 10k together. Leslie and Amy also decided to run in the 10k and Leslie even convinced her brother and fiance that live in San Fran to run too. Emily and Courtney also came for the much needed girls weekend. We had so much fun at the Marine Club hotel in downtown SF. They have a free breakfast and free happy hour from 4-6 so we couldn't have asked for more (and the military discount didn't hurt either - only $89 a night!).We shopped in downtown and dressed up for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory (still can't believe Amy had never been). Surprisingly the "birthday" desert was very sub-par for the Cheesecake Factory - I never thought I'd say that I tasted bad chocolate - but it was bad!
Anyway, we were so exhausted from traveling all day we hit the sack so we could get up early to enjoy our breakfast and then walk around SF more. We walked through Chinatown, tasted some yummy muscat grape gummy candy and did some window shopping. Then we tried to cool off at the pool but that was a bust - it was only a lap pool, but I got a really cute shot of Kaylee in her bathing suit!
After happy hour at the hotel, we went to a pretty good Mexican restaurant near the hotel and then ate the yummy angel food cake Amy made from scratch for my birthday! We then got a good night sleep so we could wake up with plenty of time to get to the 10k registration near Ghirardelli Square. The race day was perfect - no rain in sight and just enough sun and clouds in the sky. The run took us 3.1 miles out from the square down Embarcadero Street along the Wharf and the piers and even under the Bay Bridge and then we turned around to go back toward the start for the remaining 3.1 miles. It was gorgeous running along the water and having Jen run next to me was great motivation to keep going and pushing me, even though she could have blasted through 6.2 miles in well under an hour. I reached both my goals - first was to run the whole 10k - second was to run it under 1hr 10min- I finished in 1hr 9min 29sec. Oh and I have to mention the awesome shirt Jen made me for my birthday and first 10k (there is a pic below)! It was a great weekend with good friends :)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment